Monday, April 13, 2009

Secret to a happy marriage

Everyone has advice on making a marriage last. It is a frequent topic on afternoon talk shows. Dr. Phil, the gals from the View and even Oprah all seem to have the answers....at least in their opinion. However, most of these folks are not necessarily the best role models. Pat and I will be celebrating our 36th wedding anniversary in early May, 2009. She is my best friend, mother of my two children, my companion and the love of my life. I would like to share some simple advice based on real married life experience.

First, you should be best friends before lovers. Some new couples confuse infatuation with love. Remember, marriage is a life long commitment. You need more than just infatuation to make the marriage last.

Second, marriage takes work. Remember the old adage....life isn’t always a bed of roses. There will be disagreements, arguments and occasional anger. However, that’s just part of life. Hone your listening skills and keep talking. You will soon find that compromise is the key to moving past these disagreements.

Thirds, be considerate of your spouse’s feeling. Remember to say thank you, good bye and don’t forget that kiss.

Fourth, spend time together. Couples that spend time together tend to stay together.

And lastly, here is some simple advice I have been giving grooms for the last 30 years. Remember two very important words...”yes dear”. These two words are the real key to making a marriage last.

This advice has worked for Pat and me for more than 36 years. I wish you all the best as you begin your new life together.

No comments:

Post a Comment